Sunday, January 20, 2013

Touch


I have never thought of just how much it means for humanity to be capable of "touch". I found it intriging that "Speaking of Touch" brought to light how deeply connected our words are to our feelings and sensations of touch; by considering this, it may be logical to guess that touch is closely related to our words, because it is the one sense that every being can communicate and understand clearly. We know what it feels like and we recognize how we react to it, so by using elements of touch in our language, we are communicating ideas in the most universal method. Further, a literal touch, can speak a thousand words, without ever being heard audibly; although we may never consider such a fact, it is fascinating beyond desccription. To consider the life saving abilities of touch, is however, more astounding still. This reasearch that has been conducted is physical proof of what we might half heartedly take note of on a daily basis. A child who has problems in school, or childhood scocialization, seems too often to be the product of an unloving and harsh home envirionment. A young woman may avoid dating, if she has been wittness to a abusive marraige in her own home. And a skittish dog, has most likely been abused by his former owner. The harshness of touch, or total lack of, creates a cold and dark envirionment, which lacks love and assurence. Such a loss, has visual conseqences that can not be denied. I find it very confirming that this research reflects what we casually sense, without recognizing it. We are beings that are created to loved, live and enteract closely with one another; it is not surprising that our biological makeup, would be affected by such a void. I believe that if mothers would cradle their child closer and longer, that child would be able to live life more successfully and happily. I also believe that if scociety would embrace each other more often, our lives would be greatly changed. The idea of our skin "having eyes" is something else that is perplexing to consider; when we watch movies in HD, or at a theater, we may feel closer to what is happening, but we can easily seperate it from reality, beacause we can not feel it. Or, consider when we see a loved one, after a long separation. We run to hold them because it assures us that they are there. One could also speak of the phrase "do my eyes decieve me?", or of the occurence of a mirage; no matter how clearly we see something with our eyes, we can not believe it as strongly as we do when we can touch it. Touch, completes the ingredients of reality. Our hands, the instruments of touch. Just as this article points out, we do everything with our hands; even though we may never consider just how vital they are to us. If I were to lose the use of my hands, I couldn't feed myself easily, I could not draw or paint, unless I were to aqcuire the abilities of Joni. I could not type, I could not hold a cell phone, or pull back my hair; simple actions would become next to impossible. Thinking of what my hands do for me, make me much more aware of how great of a gift they are and how amazing is was of our creator to equip us with such innovative tools. As a concluding note, the vital sense of touch, that is so very dear to our human experience, is most commonly done with the use of our hands, the great instruments of touch..

No comments:

Post a Comment